KANDLA : Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in association with Deendayal Port Authority (DPA) launched a pilot named “5th Generation (5G) Small Cell and Aerial Fiber deployment using Deendayal Port Street Furniture” in a kick-off meeting .
- Small Cell are equipment which will be deployed for upcoming 5G networks. It uses higher frequencies spectrum to provide ultra-high broadband speed and are placed closer to user so that to provide quick responses to user’s request. Street furniture are used to denote things like electric poles, bus stand, traffic lights etc.
- The pilot will help in understanding challenges in 5G small cell deployment at Indian ports. Hundreds of 5G Small Cells are needed to be installed in a square KM of area to provide good coverage. Use of Street furniture already available at ports like poles etc. can be used for mounting these 5G Small Cells, obviating the need for erecting thousands of new towers. This will not only ensure faster deployment of 5G but also unlock true potential of underutilized street furniture at ports. Ports, using these highly reliable 5G networks will be able to launch Enterprise Solutions which will in turn help them to compete with best of international ports.
- Apart from senior officials of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and Telecommunication Engineering Center (TEC), meeting was also attended by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) along with higher officials of BSNL, JIO, Airtel, Vodafone Idea Limited and Indus Towers. The team of Deendayal Port Authority (DPA) was led by Deputy Chairman. Vodafone Idea, Airtel, JIO and BSNL along with Indus Towers will be jointly working on this pilot with Deendayal Port Authority (DPA).
- Better productivity and efficiency of Indian ports will help in more efficient supply chain and boost to overall Indian economy. Worldwide 5G deployment at ports and various use cases are resulting in improved operations, decreased costs and enhanced productivity.
- Similar pilots were started by TRAI at Delhi International Airport, Smart City Bhopal and Namma Mero Bengaluru also.