According to a trade circular issued by the Traffic Department of Visakhapatnam Port Trust, capacity augmentation work of the oil jetties is in progress for handling oil tankers carrying higher parcel size cargo. The extended portion of the oil wharf, in continuation to OR-II i.e. OR-III, is now ready for commissioning by accepting tanker vessels for cargo operations. The pipelines as well as fire-fighting equipment and other required facilities for the new wharf OR-III have been put in place.
The following are the berth specifications of OR-III:
- Length of the berth: 180 metres
- Permitted LOA of vessels: 160 metres (max.)
- Width of the berth: 12.8 metres
- Permissible draught: 11 metres
- Beam of the vessel: No restriction
- Dredge depth completed: (-) 12.10 metres CD
- Fenders: Super cone type with frontal frames
- Bollards: Stag horn type
- Manifold connections: Ready from all OMCs presently operating at OR-I and OR-II berths
The said berth is capable of handling all types of compatible liquid bulk cargo traditionally being handled by the OMCs at the existing OR-I and OR-II berths.
Further, the capacity augmentation work of the OR-I berth has already been taken up in phases and, with a view to take up civil work of the jetty face, the OR-I berth will be decommissioned and unavailable for berthing vessels and cargo operations with effect from January 16, 2021, the communiqué said.